Sep 5, 2013

Waking Up Crying

I have always been interested in dreams. The fact that you can see something in your sleep is intriguing, and how people perceive their own dreams are even more intriguing. Perhaps, this is why I am so interested in Psychology.

Just a few days back, I woke up in the middle of night crying. I couldn't remember what the dream was. All I knew was that I was crying the moment I opened my eyes. I think I cried pretty hard because the morning, my eyes are swollen. Now that I think about it, I actually cried myself to sleep.

It wasn't the first time I woke up crying. It had occurred several times actually. The clearest memory I have of one of my crying dreams is that I dreamt someone was dying and I cried.

Waking up crying for some people might actually be scary. To me, waking up crying sometimes can actually be good. I used up so much energy on crying that it might be easier for me to fall back to sleep. As I am a light sleeper and an insomniac, going back to sleep after waking up in the middle of night can be pretty difficult.

So, I spent some time trying to search online on what other people perceive this waking up crying thing. And I find that this article makes some sense and it seems pretty applicable to me.

When you wake up crying real tears, or simply feeling profoundly sad for no apparent reason, it’s because you have finally touched upon some buried grief through a dream. You may have released it all, or there may be more to come. Either way, this is good and healing.

It's true that crying can be quite healing. After bottling up so much emotions in oneself, crying and letting it out can be really healing. Perhaps I have bottled up so much emotions in myself that my unconscious mind decided that it was better for me to let it out, and the best way was through a dream. The human mind is pretty amazing this way. :)

I would totally love it if there was a subject specially dedicated to dream interpretation in my university. Sadly there is none because I don't think there is a lecturer who specializes in dream interpretation yet. I shall graduate and be the first one then. Maybe I should read up on my own... but it has already started raining assignments. College life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment