Sep 3, 2013

Anthro-boring?

Today, I went for my first Anthropology class of the semester. I was excited for it really. Anthropology is such a cool subject, and I thought I would love every second of the class.

I thought.

Turns out, the lecturer is the one who is bringing the mood down. She didn't look excited to see the class and she certainly didn't look like she likes Anthropology. It's the freaking first class, and I already have a bad impression of her. Throughout the entire class, she explained too in details about the assignments (as if we are going to remember them), talked in a rather dead voice, had me zoned off to dreamland more than five times, and she didn't even have her updated course outline with her. She even said that she don't have to go into very detail on what's Anthropology is about and didn't even bother going through what we are going to learn with her for 14 weeks, just because it's still the add/drop subjects week. Worst of all, she treats us like children. Shushing us when there are noise, and refusing to speak when we speak. I mean, come on. We are university students.

I don't see the relevance in her point. It's the add/drop subjects week, yes. There are bound to be some people who is going to leave this class after thinking about it, yes. There are bound to be new students by next week, yes. But that doesn't mean you have to make the entire class all monotonous and dull when you can go straight into the first chapter and enlighten us confused students about Anthropology. If it's not because of my great interest in Anthropology, I would have drop the subject right away.

She teaches Anthropology. I assumed she would be overflowing with joy that there are young people like us who are equally interested. In my opinion, today is the day whereby you are supposed to be inspired by the lecturer. You are supposed to be wowed by the awesomeness of Anthropology. The lecturer is supposed to let everyone know just how awesome Anthropology is. You are supposed to be so attracted to Anthropology that you don't even think about dropping out. Now it has become another dull old boring subject for people who don't know much about Anthropology.

Maybe I am just exaggerating. But, I just feel bad. I feel bad for my friends and myself. I look forward to Anthropology so much that I am so disappointed in the reality. And I feel bad for my friends who had to go through this just because I told them Anthropology will be interesting.

I am just so disappointed in today's class.


No comments:

Post a Comment