May 7, 2015

Dangerous (May Contain Spoilers)


I just finished yet another book that is going to into my favourite books of all time. Shannon Hale's new venture into sci-fi action adventure YA genre is definitely a success to me.

I am a fan of Hale's work (Goose Girl, Princess Academy, Book of a Thousand Days), so I was a bit skeptical about this book at first. This certainly did not seemed like a book she would write, but I gave it a shot anyway. And really, I didn't regret it. I absolutely adore this book.

At first, I was worried because of the fast pace that already started at the beginning of this book. It began with Maisie's normal life in which she is home-schooled, doesn't have much interaction with other people, handicapped, and suddenly, boom, she is in an astronaut boot camp, alone with a bunch of kids she didn't know.

But then, it was Maisie and Wilder that got me hook onto every page of this book. Even though Wilder is presented as the typical rich playboy, you can't deny how charming he is. His sweet mouth never fails to make me (and Maisie, of course) melt. It was evident that I'm going to fall in love with this kid - this fictional kid. And it was as if his sweet mouth isn't enough, Wilder's act of being evil just so he could let Maisie take everything despite knowing that he would die, literally breaks my heart. When Maisie finally realises everything that Wilder has done, when every piece came to her, when she realises that all this while Wilder did nothing to hurt her, my gosh, my heart was literally in pieces.

Shannon Hale, you got me. I've never felt this emotional over a fictional dude (except maybe, Hiccup from HTTYD 2). I've also never felt this emotional over a fictional couple. I will go down with this ship.

Alright, back to the pace of this book. Yes, it was rather fast at the beginning but everything was alright after. It was as if this book needed this pace to work. And it worked fine.

This book is really suspenseful, I must say. And I couldn't really predict what is to come. The characters are all at one point cannot be trusted and it just confuses you on who's right or wrong. I really did not expect Ruth's death to happen - or any of the fireteam members. I guess it really created a condition that tested Maisie's limit.

All in all, I really love this book. I've read up online reviews that gave negative points to this book, and I'm glad I didn't really listen to them.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment